In the bustling urban landscape of Kochi, India, an ambitious transformation is underway with the development of an extensive metro rail network. With two metro rail lines spanning a combined length of 39.7 kilometers, this transformative project is poised to revolutionize the city's transportation landscape. Backed by a substantial project cost of Rs. 7,758 cr. INR, this metro rail endeavor is not only set to ease commuter congestion but also foster sustainable urban growth and connectivity for years to come. The metro train operation in the first Phase of the Kochi Metro project was started on 19 June 2017 and the system is now covering a total of 25.6 km with 1 lines. By the end of 2025 , the Kochi Metro will cover a total network of 39.7 kilometers.
- Project Name: Kochi Metro Rail Project
- Operator: Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL)
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Kerala
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 7,758.79 Crores
- Funding Agency: JICA, AFD
- Status: Operational -17 June 2017
Routes & Network
||Aluva - SN Junction
||Operational (25.6 km), Under Construction (1.16 km)
||Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium - Info Park
Phase I: Aluva - Petta - SN Junction
- Route Length: 27.4 km
- Stations: 21 Stations
- No. of Trains: 25
- Operational Stations: Aluva, Pulinchodu, Companypady, Ambattukavu, Muttom, Kalamassery, Cochin University, Pathadipalam, Edapally, Changampuzha Park, Palarivattom, JLN Stadium, Kaloor, Lissie, M.G Road, Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam South, Kadavanthra, Elamkulam, Vytila, Thykkoodam and Petta.
- Depot: Muttom
- Length: 1.16 km
- Total Stations: 2
- Station Names: Vadakkekotta, SN Junction
Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium - Info Park
- Route Length: 11.2 km
- Stations: 11 Stations
- Project Cost: Rs.2,577.00
- Proposed Stations: Palarivattom Junction, Palarivattom Signal, Chembumukku, Vazhakkala, Kunnumpuram, Kakkanad Junction, Kochi Special Economic Zone, Chittethukara, Rajagiri, Info Park I, Info Park II.
Airport extension: Aluva - Angamaly
Train Maintanance Depot
||Line 1 (Blue)
|Upto 2 Km
|2 Km to 5 Km
|5 Km to 10 Km
|10 Km to 15 Km
|15 km to 20 Km
|20 Km to 25 Km
- 13 September 2012: Foundation stone laid down by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- June 2013: Construction work was started.
- 17 June 2017: 13.4 km section (Aluva – Palarivattom) of Corridore 1 Open for public.
Kochi Metro Rail Limited
JLN Metro Station, 4th Floor,
Kaloor, Ernakulam, Kerala 682017