Kochi is the most densely populated city in Kerala. As of 2011, it has a corporation limit population of 677,381within an area of 94.88 kmand a total urban population of more than of 2.1 million within an area of 440 km, making it the largest and the most populous metropolitan area in Kerala.The construction work was started in June 2013 and a 13.4 km section of the line from Aluva to Palarivattom was opened to passengers on 17 June 2017 by Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India.
- Project Name: Kochi Metro Rail Project
- Operator: Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL)
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Kerala
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 5181.79 Crores (Phase-I)
- Funding Agency: JICA, AFD
- Status: Operational -17 June 2017
||Aluva - SN Junction
||Operational (25.6 km), Under Construction (1.16 km)
||Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium - Info Park
Phase I: Aluva - Petta - SN Junction
- Route Length: 27.4 km
- Stations: 21 Stations
- No. of Trains: 25
- Operational Stations: Aluva, Pulinchodu, Companypady, Ambattukavu, Muttom, Kalamassery, Cochin University, Pathadipalam, Edapally, Changampuzha Park, Palarivattom, JLN Stadium, Kaloor, Lissie, M.G Road, Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam South, Kadavanthra, Elamkulam, Vytila, Thykkoodam and Petta.
- Depot: Muttom
Under Construction Routes(Phase-I)
- Length: 1.16 km
- Total Stations: 2
- Station Names: Vadakkekotta, SN Junction
Phase II: Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium - Info Park
- Route Length: 11.2 km
- Stations: 11 Stations
- Project Cost: Rs.2,577.00
- Proposed Stations: Palarivattom Junction, Palarivattom Signal, Chembumukku, Vazhakkala, Kunnumpuram, Kakkanad Junction, Kochi Special Economic Zone, Chittethukara, Rajagiri, Info Park I, Info Park II.
Phase III: Aluva - Angamaly (Airport Extension)
Train Maintanance Depot
||Line 1 (Blue)
|Upto 2 Km
|2 Km to 5 Km
|5 Km to 10 Km
|10 Km to 15 Km
|15 km to 20 Km
|20 Km to 25 Km
- 13 September 2012: Foundation stone laid down by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- June 2013: Construction work was started.
- 17 June 2017: 13.4 km section (Aluva – Palarivattom) of Corridore 1 Open for public.
Kochi Metro Rail Limited
JLN Metro Station, 4th Floor,
Kaloor, Ernakulam, Kerala 682017
Tel: 18004250355, 0484-2846700/70