The city of Jammu, with an area of 240 km2 (93 sq mi) is surrounded by the Himalayas in the north and the northern-plains in the south. Jammu is the second most populous city of the union territory. Two battles have been fought in the city.Jammu Light Metro (Metrolite) with 2 lines & 40 stations is a light rail transit (LRT) system proposed to be built in Jammu by the Housing and Urban Development Department of the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Project Name: Jammu Light Metro Rail Project
- Type of System: Light Rail Transit System (LRTS)
- Executing Body: Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (MRDA)
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Jammu & Kashmir
- Project Cost: INR 4,825 Crore (Phase I)
- Completion Target: 2024
- Status: Under consideration
Not yet decided as project in now under construction.
Project Information (Phase 1)
Corridor I: Bantalab - Greater Kailash
- Route length: 17.0 km
- Total stations: 17 (All elevated)
- Station names: Bantalab, Chinore, Roop Nagar, Janipur, High Court, Lower Laxmi Nagar, Ambphalla, Secretariat, Raghunath Temple, Exhibition Ground, University, Panama Chowk, Jammu Railway Station, Trikuta Nagar, Trikuta Nagar Extension, Narwal, Greater Kailash.
- Depot: Bantalab (10-hectare area)
- Status: Approved by the state government
Corridor II: Udheywala - Exhibition Ground
- Route length: 6.0 km
- Total stations: 6 (All elevated)
- Proposed station names: Udheywala, Tirath Nagar, Suraj Nagar, Circuit House, Jewel Chowk, Exhibition Ground.
- Depot: Udheywala (10-hectare area)
Jammu Metro Rail Network (Phase II)
Corridor I Extn: Greater Kailash - Bari Brahmana Railway Station
- Route length: 6.0 km
- Total stations: 5 (All elevated)
- Station names: Kaluchak, SIDCO Factories, Bari Brahmana, Bari Brahmana Railway Station.
Corridor II Extn: Exhibition Ground - Satwari Chowk
- Route length: 14.5 km
- Total stations: 12 (All elevated)
- Station names: Rangora, Narwal Mandi, Transport Nagar, Malik Market, Sector-6, Sainik Colony, Greater Kailash, Kunjwani, Gangyal, Preet Nagar, Sanjay Nagar, Satwari Chowk.
Project Cost & Funding:
||Govt. of India and Govt. of Jammu & Kashmir
- Design Speed: NA
- Average Speed:NA
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: NA
- Signalling System: NA
- Rolling stock: NA
Major Contractors (Phase I)
- RITES Limited: Feasibility Study and General Consultancy
Progress So Far