The city is one of the largest producers of sports goods, and the largest producer of musical instruments in India. The city is also an education hub in western Uttar Pradesh, and is also known as the "Sports City Of India". The city is famous for being the starting point of the 1857 rebellion against Company rule in India.The feasibility study of the project was completed by RITES in June 2015. Since government has merged the line 1 of meerut metro into RRTS, it is likely to be completed around 2025 with RRTS project
- Project Name: Meerut Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- Operator: National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC)
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 11,544 Crores
- Total System Length: 35 km
- No. of Phases: 1 (2 Lines)
- External Funding Agency: ADB
- Completion Target: 2025
- Status: Under Construction
||Partapur - Modipuram
||Sharadhapuri Phase 2 - Jagruti Vihar Extension
||Under DPR Stage
Project Cost & Funding
||Partapur - Modipuram (20 km)
||GoI, GoUP, ADB, NDB, AIIB
Under Construction Routes
Line 1: Partapur – Modipuram
- Route Length: 20 km (Elevated: 14.40 km, Underground: 5.6 km)
- Stations: 13
- Station Names: Meerut South, Partapur, Rithani, Shatabdi Nagar, Brahmapuri, Meerut Central, Bhaisali, Begum Pul, MES Colony, Daurli Metro, Meerut North, Modipuram and Modipuram Depot.
- Depot: Modipuram
(Note: Line 1 is part of 82.15 km Delhi-Meerut RRTS Corridor)
Line 2: Shradhapuri Phase II – Jagriti Vihar
- Route Length: 15 km (Elevated: 10.7 km, Underground: 4.3 km)
- Stations: 13
- Station Names: Sharadhapuri Phase 2, Kanker Khera, Meerut Cantt. Railway Station, Rajban Bazar, Begumpul, Baccha Park, Shahpeer Gate, Hapur Adda Chauraha, Gandhi Ashram, Mangal Pandey Nagar, Tej Grahi, Medical College and Jagruti Vihar Extension.
- Depot: Jagruti Vihar
- Design Speed: 80 kmph
- Average speed: 35 kmph
- Track Gauge: 1,435 mm Standard gauge
- Electrification: 25 kV 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling System: Communications-based Train Control (CBTC)
- Rolling stock: 3 coach train
- RITES Ltd: Feasibility Study & DPR Consultant.
- Ayesa lngenieria Y Arquitectura – ITALFERR – Ayesa India JV: General Consultant for RRTS & Metro Project
- Alstom Transport: Supply of 30 Rolling Stock coaches (10 trains with 3-coach) as part of 210 RRTS rolling stock contract.
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd (L&T): Construction of elevated viaduct from Partapur – Shatabdi Nagar including 3 stations at Partapur, Rithani & Shatabdi Nagar (part of Package 3) and elevated viaduct from Shatabdi Nagar – Brahampuri DN Ramp AND Begumpul Ramp – Modipuram including 5 stations at Brahmapuri, MES Colony, Daurli, Meerut North and Modipuram (Part of Package 7).
- Afcons Infrastructure Ltd: Construction of underground twin tunnel from Brahampuri DN Ramp to Begumpul UP Ramp including 3 stations at Meerut Central, Bhaisali and Begumpul (Part of Package 8).
- KSM Basir Mohammad & Sons: Construction of Modipuram Depot-cum-Workshop (Package 5B).
- February 2019: The project was approved by Govt of India.
- August 2021: Construction work started of Meerut Metro.
Meerut Metro Route Map
Click here to view Dynamic Route Map.
National Capital Region Transport Corporation Ltd (NCRTC)
GatiShakti Bhawan, INA New Delhi - 110023