In the bustling urban landscape of Nagpur, India, an ambitious transformation is underway with the development of an extensive metro rail network. With two metro rail lines spanning a combined length of 81.62 kilometers, this transformative project is poised to revolutionize the city's transportation landscape. Backed by a substantial project cost of Rs. 15,388 cr. INR, this metro rail endeavor is not only set to ease commuter congestion but also foster sustainable urban growth and connectivity for years to come. The metro train operation in the first Phase of the Nagpur Metro project was started on 08 March 2019 and the system is now covering a total of 38.22 km with 2 lines. By the end of 2027, the Nagpur Metro will cover a total network of 81.62 kilometers.
- Project Name: Nagpur Metro Rail Project (Majhi Metro)
- Owner: Govt. of Maharashtra & Govt. of India
- Operator: Maharastra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha-Metro)
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Total Network: 82 km
- Project Cost: INR 15,388 crore (Phase I- 8,680, Phase II-6708)
- Completion Target: 2026 (Phase-II)
- Status: Operational since 7 March 2019
|#1 Orange Line
||Automotive Square - Khapri
|#2 Aqua Line
||Prajapati Nagar - Lokmanya Nagar
Line 1 (Orange Line): Automotive Square - Khapri
- Route length: 19.65 km
- No. of Stations: 18
- Stations Name: Automotive Square, Nari Road, Indora Square, Kadvi Square, GaddiGodam Square, Kasturchand Park, Zero Mile Freedom Park, Sitabuldi (Interchange), Congress Nagar, Rahate Colony, Ajni Square, Chhatrapati Square, Jaiprakash Nagar, Ujjwal Nagar, Airport, Airport South, New Airport and Khapri.
Line 2 (Aqua Line): Prajapati Nagar - Lokmanya Nagar
- Route length: 18.57 km
- No. of Stations: 19
- Stations Name: Prajapati Nagar, Vaishno Devi Square, Ambedkar Square, Telephone Exchange, ChittarOli Square, Agrasen Square, Dosar Vaisya Square, Nagpur Railway Station, Cotton Market, Sitabuldi (Interchange), Jhansi Rani Square, Institute of Engineers, Shankar Nagar Square, LAD Chowk, Dharampeth College, Subhash Nagar, Rachana Ring Road, Vasudev Nagar, Bansi Nagar, and Lokmanya Nagar.
Future Expansion (Approved)
Line-1 Extn (Orange Line) Reach 1A: MIHAN - Butibori MIDC ESR
- Length: 18.5 km
- Total Stations: 10
- Stations: Eco Park, Metro City, Ashokvan, Dongargaon, Mohgaon, Meghdoot CIDCO, Butibori Police Station, MHADA Colony, MIDC KEC and MIDC-ESR.
Line-1 Extn (Orange Line) Reach 2A: Automotive Square - Kanhan
- Length: 13 km
- Total Stations: 12
- Stations: Pili Nadi, Khasara Fata, All Indian Radio, Kheri Fata, Lok Vihar, Lekha Nagar, Cantonment, Kamptee Police Station, Kemptee Municipal Council, Dragon Place, Golf Club and Kahnan
Line-2 Extn (Aqua Line) Reach 3A: Lokmanya Nagar - Hingna
- Length: 6.3 km
- Total Stations: 7
- Stations: Mount View, Rajiv Nagar, Wanadongari, APMC, Raipur, Hingna Bus Stand and Hingna
Line-2 Extn (Aqua Line) Reach 4A: Prajapati Square - Transport Nagar
- Length: 5.6 km
- Number of Stations: 3
- Catchment Area: Pardi, Ghar Sansaar Nagar and Transport Nagar
Train Maintanance Depot
||Line 1 (Orange)
||Line 2 (Aqua)
- August 2014: The project was approved by Govt of India.(Phase I).
- 11 December 2022: Inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- 8 March 2019: 13 km section (Khapri – Sitabuldi) of Line 1 (Orange) open for public.
- 28 January 2020: 9.9 km section (Lokmanya Nagar – Sitabuldi) of Line 2 (Aqua) open for public.
- 21 August 2021: 1.4 km section (Sitabuldi – Kasturchand Park)of Line 1 (Orange) open for public.
- 11 December 2022: 5.8 km section (Kasturchand Park – Automotive Square) of Line 1 (Orange) open for public.
- 11 December 2022: 7.9 km section (Sitabuldi – Prajapati Nagar) of Line 2 (Aqua Line) open for public.
Metro Authority Contact details
Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation
METRO BHAVAN, VIP road,
Nagpur - 440010,