Agra is known as Taj City of India. With a population of roughly 1.6 million, Agra is the fourth-most populous city in Uttar Pradesh. Agra Metro will have 2 corridors that will pass through the heart of the city and will connect prominent tourist places including Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, and Sikandra as well as ISBT, Raja Ki Mandi railway station, Medical College, Agra Cantonment railway station, Collectorate, Sanjay Place, and surrounding densely populated residential areas. The construction of metro rail project in Agra is started in December, 2020 and the 7-km priority section of Corridor 1 is scheduled to open by the end of 2023.
- Project Name: Agra Metro Rail Project Phase I
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- Operator: Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited (UPMRCL)
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 12900 Crore
- Total Length: 29.4 km
- Completion Target: 2024 (7 km)
Agra Metro Phase I Network
Line 1 (Yellow) : Sikandra – Taj East Gate
- Total Length: 14.25 km (Elevated- 6.569 km, Underground- 7.681 km)
- Total Stations: 14 Stations
- Station Names: Sikandra, Guru Ka Taal, ISBT, Shastri Nagar, RBS College, Raja Ki Mandi, Agra University, Medical College, Jama Masjid, Agra Fort, Taj Mahal, Fatehabad Road, Basai and Taj East Gate.
- Project Cost: Rs 8,379.62 Crore
Line 2 (Blue): Agra Cantt. – Kalindi Vihar
- Total Length: 15.4 km (All elevated)
- Total Stations: 15 Stations
- Station Names: Agra Cantt., Sultanpura, Sadar Bazaar, Pratap Pura, Collectorate, Subhash Park, Agra University, Hariparvat Chauraha, Sanjay Place, MG Road, Sultanganj Crossing, Kamla Nagar, Rambagh, Foundary Nagar, Agra Mandi and Kalindi Vihar.
- Project Cost: Rs 4,520.38 Crore
Line 1 (Yellow): Jama Masjid - Taj East Gate
- Length: 7 km
- Total stations: 6 (3 Under Ground and 3 Elevated)
- Stations: Jama Masjid, Agra Fort, Taj Mahal, Fatehabad Road, Basai and Taj East Gate.
- Depot: PAC
Project Cost & Funding
||Rs 12,900 crore
||Govt. of Uttar Pradesh, Govt. of India and European Investment Bank
Project Deadline: January 2024 (7km - Priority Section)
- Design Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 40 kmph
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kV, 50 Hz AC OHE
- Signalling System: Communications-based Train Control (CBTC)
- Rolling stock: Bombardier Transportation
Major Contractors (Phase I)
- TYPSA-ITALFERR JV (GC): General Consultant for Agra Metro
- Tata Consulting Engineers (TCE) – 3TI Progetti Italia-Ingegneria Integrata SPA – Leap Infrasys JV (DDC): Detailed Design Consultant for Line-1
- Systra - Systra MVA Consulting (India) Pvt. Ltd. JV (DDC): Detailed Design Consultant for Agra Metro Line-2
- Sam (India) Builtwell Pvt. Ltd. (Civil Package AGCC-01): Taj East Gate – Taj Mahal Ramp (4 kms, 3 stations)
- Afcons-SAM JV (Civil Package AGCC-02): RBS College Ramp – Taj Mahal Ramp (7.9 km, 7 stations)
- Lisha Engineers (Civil Package AGCC-03): PAC Grounds Depot (Line-1)
- Vishnu Saran and Company (Civil Package AGCC-04): Residential and Non-Residential Buildings at PAC Campus
- Larsen & Toubro (AGE-1 & 2): 750 V DC 3rd Rail Traction System, 33kV Cable Network, ASS, TSS and SCADA System
- Alstom (KNPAGRS-01): Supply of 201 standard gauge cars (rolling stock) including Train Control & Signalling System for Agra & Kanpur metro projects
- East Metals AG (KNPAGT-1): 17,700 MT Head Hardened Rails
- Voestalpine VAE India Pvt. Ltd. (KNPAGT-2): Standard gauge UIC 60 turnouts, scissor crossovers and check rails
- Larsen & Toubro (KNPAGT-3): Supply of ballastless track for Kanpur & Agra metros and fastening systems (viaduct, underground & depots)
- HYT Engineering Company Pvt. Ltd. (KNAG-01): CNC Under Floor Pit Wheel Lathe Machine
- ZAGRO Bahn-und Baumaschinen GmbH (KNAG-02): Battery Operated Road Cum Rail Vehicle (Electric Bogie Tractor)
- Pfaff Verkehrstechnik GmbH (KNAG-03): Synchronized Pit Jacks & Mobile Jacks
- Lai Yew Seng (India) Pvt. Ltd. (KNAG-04): Bogie Turn Table
- Phooltas Transrail (KNAG-06(R1)): Rescue Vehicle
- Cyclosystem India Pvt. Ltd. (KNAG-07): Automatic Train Washing Plant
- Johnson Lifts. Pvt. Ltd. (KNPAGE-03): Elevators / Lifts for Agra Metro Line-1 and Kanpur Metro’s both lines
- HFCL Ltd. (KNPAGS-1): Telecommunications (Telecom)
Progress So Far
- 8 March 2019: Foundation stone laid down by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- July 2021: European Investment Bank (EIB) to fund 480 mn euros for Agra Metro Rail Project.
- Aug 2021: European Investment Bank (EIB) approves and is ready to fund 480 mn euros for Agra Metro Rail Project, as of 10 August.
- December 2020: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the construction work at the Agra Metro Project Site on 7 December 2020.
- 6 March 2023: First Train reached to PAC Depot