Madurai is a major city of Tamil Nadu, India. It is the cultural capital of Tamil Nadu and the administrative headquarters of Madurai District. The urban population of Madurai is 17,99,000 as of December 2022. In August 2021, Tamil Nadu government has announced a plan to develop mass rapid transit system (metro rail) in Madurai.
- Project Name: Madurai Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Tamilnadu
- Operator: Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL)
- Project Type: Light Rail Transit System (LRTS)
- Project Cost: NA
- Completion Target: NA
- Current Status: Under DPR stage
||Thirumangalam - Othakadai
||31.0 km (Approx.)
Proposed Metro Rail Network
Line 1: Thirumangalam - Othakadai
- Total Length: 31.0 km (Approx)
- Total Stations: 20 Stations
- Station Name: Thirumangalam, Kappalur Toll Plaza, Dharmathupatti, Thoppur, Thirunagar, Thirupparankundram, Pasumalai, Vasantha Nagar, Madura College, Madurai Railway Junction, Simmakkal, Keelavasal, Therkuvasal, Goripalayam, Police Commissioner Office, K Pudur, Mattuthavani, Uthangudi, Madurai High Court and Othakadai.
- Depot: Thirumangalam (45 acres area)
Rolling Stock & Sytems
- 3-car Metro Train with 25 kmph to 60kmph speed.
- CBTC Signalling Systems
- 25KV Overhead Traction
- 240,800 per day by 2032
- 310,000 per day by 2042
- 450,900 per day by 2052
To be uploaded soon.
Progress so far
- March 2022: Hyderabad-based firm BARSYL (Balaji Railroads Systems Ltd) has been appointed to prepare feasibility study for the mass rapid transit system in Madurai.
- November 2022: BARSYL submitted feasibility study of Madurai Metro to Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL).
- February 2023: CMRL floated tender for appointment of Consultant for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) of Madurai Metro.
Chennai Metro Rail Limited
Admin Building,CMRL Depot,
Poonamallee High Road,
Koyambedu,Chennai – 600107,
Tamil Nadu, India.