In the bustling urban landscape of Surat, India, an ambitious transformation is underway with the development of an extensive metro rail network. With two metro rail lines spanning a combined length of 40.3 kilometers, this transformative project is poised to revolutionize the city's transportation landscape. Backed by a substantial project cost of Rs. 12,020 cr. INR, this metro rail endeavor is not only set to ease commuter congestion but also foster sustainable urban growth and connectivity for years to come. Construction on the first phase of Surat Metro was started on 18 January 2021 and commissioning of same is expected by April 2024. By the end of 2028, the Surat Metro will cover a total network of 40.3 kilometers.
- Project Name: Surat Metro Rail Project
- Operator: Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Gujarat
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 12,020 Crores (Phase-I)
- External Funding Agency: AfD and KfW
- Total Network Length: 40.35 km
- Nos. of Phases: 1 (2 Lines)
- Status: Under-construction
||Sarthana - Dream City
||Besan - Saroli
Under Construction (Phase-I)
Corridor 1 (Red Line): Sarthana - Dream City
- Route Length: 21.61 km
- Stations: 20 Stations (Elevated (15.14 km, 14 Stations), Underground (6.47 km, 6 Stations)
- Station Names: Sarthana, Nature Park, Varachha Chopati, Kapodra Patiya, Laabheshwar Chowk, Central Warehouse, Surat, Maskati Hospital, Chowk Bazar, Gandhi Baug, Kadarsha Ni Nal, Majura Gate, Rupali Canal, Althan Tenament, Althan Gam, VIP Road, Women ITI, Bhimrad, Convention Center and Dream City.
- Depot: Dream City
Corridor 2 (Green Line): Besan - Saroli
- Route Length: 18.74 km
- Stations: 18 Stations (All elevated)
- Station Names: Bhesan, Botanical Garden, Ugat Vaarigruh, Palanpur Road, LP Savani School, Performing Art Centre, Adajan Gam, Aquarium, Badri Narayan Temple, Athwa Chopati, Majura Gate, Udhna Dawaja, Kamela Darwaja, Anjana Farm, Model Town, Magob, Bharat Cancer Hospital and Saroli.
- Depot: Bhesan
Train Maintanance Depot
||Line 1 (Red)
||Dream City (Under Construction)
||Line 2 (Green)
||Bhesan (Under Construction)
Not yet decided as project in now under construction.
- 11 March 2019: The project was approved by Govt of India.(Phase I)
- 18 January 2021: Foundation stone laid down by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Metro Authority Contact details
Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation Limited
803 8th Floor, GNFC Info Tower, Sarkhej
Ahmedabad – 380054, Gujarat.