In the bustling urban landscape of Kanpur, India, an ambitious transformation is underway with the development of an extensive metro rail network. With two metro rail lines spanning a combined length of 32.38 kilometers, this transformative project is poised to revolutionize the city's transportation landscape. Backed by a substantial project cost of Rs. 11,076 INR, this metro rail endeavor is not only set to ease commuter congestion but also foster sustainable urban growth and connectivity for years to come. The metro train operation in the first Phase of the Kanpur Metro project was started on 28 December 2021 and the system is now covering a total of 8.7 km with 1 lines. By the end of 2026, the Kanpur Metro will cover a total network of 32.38 kilometers.
- Project Name: Kanpur Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 11,076.48 Crores
- Shares: Govt. of India and Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- External Funding: European Investment Bank (INR 5552 crores)
- Status: Operational - since Dec 28, 2021
Routes & Network
|| IIT Kanpur - Naubasta
||Operational (8.7 km), Under Construction (15 km)
||Agriculture University - Barra 8
Line:1 IIT Kanpur - Moti Jheel
- Total Length: 8.98 km
- Total Stations: 9
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital and Moti Jhil.
- Depot: Polytechnic Depot (Near Gurudev Chauraha)
Line-1: Chunniganj - Naubasta
- Length: 15 km
- Total Stations: 22
- Station Names: Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha, Nayaganj, Birhana Road, Kanpur Central Railway Station, ISBT Jhakarkatti, Old Transport Nagar, Kidwai Nagar North, Kidwai Nagar South, Yashoda Nagar, Baudh Nagar and Naubasta.
- Depot: Government Polytechnic
- Status: Partly Operational.
Line-2: Agriculture University - Barra 8
- Project Cost: NA
- Total Length: 8.6 km
- Total Stations: 8
- Station Names: Agriculture University, Rawatpur Railway, Kakadeo, Vijay Nagar Chauraha, Govind Nagar, Barra-7 Road and Barra-8.
- Status: Under consideration
Train Maintanance Depot
||Polytechnic College (Operational)
||Agriculture Depot (Approved)
|Upto 1 Km
|1 Km to 2 Km
|2 Km to 6 Km
|6 Km to 9 Km
- March 2016: The project was approved by State Govt.(Phase I).
- 28 February 2019: The project was approved by Govt of India.(Phase I).
- 15 Nov 2019: Construction work started of Kanpur Metro Phase I.
- 10 Nov 2021: Trial run started on 9-km priority corridor.
- 28 Dec, 2021: 9-km priority section between IIT & Motijhil opened for the public.
Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited
Administrative Building, Vipin Khand,
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow-226010 (UP)
Phase wise In-depth Information
Kanpur Metro Phase 1