- Project Name: Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project
- Owner: Indian Railways, Govt. of Gujarat and Govt. of Maharashtra
- Operator: National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited
- Project Type: High Speed Rail (HSR)/Bullet Train
- Route Length: 508.17 km
- Project Cost: INR 1.10 Lakh Crore
- Funding Pattern: Govt. of India and Loan from Govt. of Japan
- Train Type: Japanese E5 Series Shinkansen Train
- Train Speed: 300-350 km per hour
- Travel Time: 2.07 hours with limited stops and 2.58 hours to cover the distance with all stops.
- Fare: Between INR 3000 - INR 5000.
- Land Required: 825 hectares.
- Current Status: Under Construction
- Total length: 508.17 km (Gujarat - 348.04 km, Maharashtra - 155.76 km and Dadar & Nagar Haveli - 4.3 km including 21 km underground between BKC and Thane). Out of 21.7 km length will be undersea.
- Total Stations: 12 (Gujarat - 8, Maharashtra - 4)
- Station Names: Mumbai, Thane, Virar, Boisar, Vapi, Bilimora, Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara, Anand/Nadia, Ahmedabad, and Sabarmati.
- Depots: 02 (Sabarmati Rail Depot, Surat Rail Depot and Thane Rail Depot)
- No. of Trains: 35 (from 2022), 105 (in 2053)
Project Cost & Funding:
||Indian Railways, Govt. of Gujarat and Govt. of Maharashtra,JICA
Train Maintanance Depot
||Sabarmati, Surat and Thane (Under Construction)
Not yet decided as project in now under construction.
National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL)
2nd FLOOR, ASIA BHAWAN, ROAD NO-205
SEC-09, DWARKA, New Delhi -110077
- Design Speed: 300-350 kmph
- Average Speed: NA
- Track Gauge: Standard Gauge – 1,435 mm
- Electrification: 25 kv AC 50 Overhead catenary
- Signalling System: Shinkansen
- Rolling stock: NA
- JICA – Ministry of Railways (RVNL) JV: Feasibility Study
- Japan International Consultants for Transportation Co., Ltd. (JIC) – Nippon Koei Co., Ltd. – Oriental Consultants Global Co., Ltd. JV (GC): MAHSR General Consultant
- Tata Consulting Engineers – Consulting Engineers Group – Aarvee Associates – PADECO Co. JV (PMC): MAHSRA Project Management Consultant
- K.C.T. Consultancy Services: Geotechnical Investigations by Borehole Drilling & Plate Load Test
- BL Kashyap & Sons Limited: Construction of Sabarmati High speed rail station
- Kawasaki Geological Engineering – RITES Ltd: Geotechnical Investigation of 2 km undersea section at Thane Creek
- Cube Construction Engineering Limited: Design and Build Works for Construction of Lodging (Phase – I) of Training Institute
- J.R. Construction: Construction of Quarters, Offices, Out house Garages and other Miscellaneous works in National Academy of Indian Railway Campus Lalbaug Vadodara
- Vijay Agarwal & Associates: Construction of Various Building Structures in Vadodara Yard and nearby areas
- B.L.Kashyap & Sons Ltd: Design and Build Works for Construction of Sabarmati HSR Terminal
- MEIL – HCC JV (lowest bidder) (Package C1): 1.028 km Underground Station at BKC, Mumbai
- Package C2: 20.377 km underground tunnel between BKC Station to Shilphata, Thane (L&T and Afcons submitted bids in February 2023)
- Package C3: 135.450 km elevated line between Shilphata, Thane and Zaroli Village (MH/GJ Border) (Tender Invited in November 2022)
- Larsen & Toubro (C4): Construction of 237.1 km elevated stretch between Zaroli Village and Vadodara and
- Larsen & Toubro (C5): Construction of 8.198 km elevated viaduct and station within Vadodara
- Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T) (C6): Construction of 87.569 km elevated viaduct between Vadodara and Ahmedabad
- IRCON – DRA JV (C7): Construction of 18.133 km elevated viaduct and station within Ahmedabad
- SCC – VRS JV (C8): Construction of 2.126 km viaduct, building works at Sabarmati Depot
- Package D1: Thane Depot including Civil Works, Building Works, Inspection Sheds, Maintenance Depot, and Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Maintenance Facilities (Under Process)
- Sojitz Corporation – Larsen & Toubro JV (Package D2): Sabarmati Depot consisting of Workshop, Inspection Sheds, various buildings, Maintenance Facilities, and Associated works
- Package P1(a): Construction of 1 PSC Bridge & 10 Steel Truss Bridges between Shilphata and Zaroli (Tender Pending)
- MG Contractors (lowest bidder) Package P1(b): Construction of 4 PSC Bridges & 7 Steel Truss Bridges between Zaroli and Vadodara.
- MG Contractors (lowest bidder) Package P1(c): Construction of 1 PSC Bridge & 4 Steel Truss Bridges between Vadodara and Ahmedabad.
- Package P2: Construction of PSC Bridge No. GAD 10 over NH48, Navsari District (Bids Invited August 2019).
- Package P3: Construction of PSC Bridge No. GAD 11 over NH48, Navsari District (Bids Invited August 2019).
- Larsen & Toubro – IHI Infrastructure Consortium Package P4: Procurement of Structural Steel, Fabricating & Supplying Steel Structures (Truss) of various sizes at workshops, to be erected by Special Bridges packages P-1(A), P-1(B), P-1(C).
- Package T1: Design, Supply & Construction of Track & Track related works between HSR station at BKC/ Mumbai and Zaroli Village on MH/GJ border (156.855 km) (Tender Notice Pending).
- IRCON International (T2): Design, Supply & Construction of Track and Track related works between Zaroli Village and Vadodara (237.10 km).
- Larsen & Toubro (T3): Design, Supply & Construction of Track and Track related works between Vadodara and Sabarmati Depot and workshops (114.60 km).
Progress So Far
- September 14, 2017: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart H.E. Shinzo Abe laid the foundation stone in Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
- September 28, 2018: Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed an agreement with Govt of India to provide an Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan of 89,547 million Japanese Yen (approx. INR 5,500 Crore) as Tranche 1 on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail project.
- November 2019: Contract for design and construction works of Sabarmati HSR Terminal is awarded to BL Kashyap & Sons Limited for Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Railway Project.
- The contract for design and construction of the High-Speed Rail Training Institute in Baroda is awarded to Cube Construction Engineering Limited.