Australia shortlists three firms/consortia for Sydney–Newcastle High Speed Rail Project
MRVC set to procure 238 AC Vande Metro Trainsets worth ₹19,293 crore from Indian Railways
Maharashtra approves ₹17,725 crore Mumbai Metro Line 13 linking Mira-Bhayandar with Vasai-Virar
Gujarat issues three tenders for 48.38-km Metro-RRTS Hybrid corridors under Ahmedabad Metro Phase 3
Alstom’s Madhepura Locomotive Project Generates ₹60,000 Crore Economic Output: Study Report
Kolkata Metro to expand around 130 km urban rail network in upcoming years
Indian Railways to begin production of Fifty 24-Car Vande Bharat Sleeper Trainsets
Govt of India allocates ₹628.32 crore additional fund for Patna Metro Rail Project
Indian parliamentary panel seeks push for indigenous Bullet Train technology & global best practices
CAG flags major planning and financial irregularities in Bangalore Metro Phase 1 & 2
Sydney, Australia (Rail & Metro Today): Australia’s High-Speed Rail Authority (HSRA) has shortlisted six potential industry partners for the proposed 194-km Sydney–Newcastle high-speed rail line, marking a major step towards developing the country’s first dedicated high-speed rail corridor.
The shortlisted companies will participate in an Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) process covering both rolling stock and major civil works for the project, which is planned to support train speeds of up to 320 km/h and connect Sydney with Newcastle in around one hour.
On August 19, HSRA announced three shortlisted groups for the rolling stock, rail systems and integration package:
The ECI programme will focus on adapting proven high-speed rail technologies to Australian conditions rather than developing an entirely bespoke system.
The selected partner will ultimately be responsible for supplying Australia's first high-speed trains, designing and delivering rail systems, developing the depot and operations control centre, and undertaking system integration, testing and commissioning.
HSRA said the process will help refine the project's cost, scope, design and approvals, enabling the scheme to become construction-ready before the Australian government takes an investment decision.
No major contract will be awarded until the required government decision-making process is completed following the project's development phase, which has previously been targeted for early 2028.
The shortlisted rolling stock partners will also examine how HSRA's proposed Advanced Manufacturing Facility could support delivery of the project.
The facility could use technologies such as automation, robotics and precision manufacturing to improve efficiency and support Australia's domestic rail manufacturing capabilities.
HSRA CEO Tim Parker said the selected partners would work with the authority to adapt established technologies to Australian requirements.
“Our partners will work with us to adapt proven technology for Australian conditions, Australian safety requirements and the needs of Australian passengers.”
HSRA announced a separate shortlist for the construction component on August 17. The three shortlisted consortia are:
These groups will compete through the ECI process to develop Area Package 1, covering the approximately 35-km section between Berowra and Ourimbah.
The first construction package will include twin tunnels between Berowra and Ourimbah, to be constructed using tunnel boring machines (TBMs).
The scope will also include construction of the proposed Central Coast high-speed station at Gosford, along with rail and station systems and associated structural and surface infrastructure between Berowra and Ourimbah.
According to Parker, construction experts will work with HSRA to determine the optimal route and technical requirements, including tunnel diameters, TBM technology and the design and construction approach for the first station.
The Sydney–Newcastle high-speed rail project is planned as a 194-km corridor designed to dramatically reduce travel time between the two major New South Wales cities.
HSRA has previously indicated that construction could begin in 2028, subject to the required government approvals and investment decision. The first section is currently targeted to open in 2037.
The project is expected to establish a new high-speed rail standard in Australia, combining 320-km/h rolling stock, dedicated infrastructure, advanced signalling and systems, and modern high-speed rail stations.
The ECI shortlisting of major global railway and construction companies is therefore an important milestone as Australia moves towards turning its long-discussed Sydney–Newcastle high-speed rail vision into a construction-ready project.