A total of 65 kilometres long network with 59 stations and the following 3 routes were built within the limits of Delhi state, stations progressively started to open from 25 December 2002 to 11 November 2006.
- Project Name: Delhi Metro Rail Project
- Operator: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of NCT of Delhi
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 70433 Crore (Phase-I, II & III), INR 46845 Crore (Phase-IV)
- Funding Pattern: Govt. of India, Delhi Govt., Loan from Foreign Institutions
- Operational Network: 348.12 km (252 stations, 10 Lines)
- Status: Operational since 22 December 2002
Line 1 (Red): Shahdara-Rithala
- Length: 22.06 km
- Total Stations: 18
- Stations: Shahdara, Welcome, Seelampur, Shastri Park, Kashmere Gate, Tis Hazari, Pul Bangash, Pratap Nagar, Shastri Nagar, Inderlok, Kanhiya Nagar, Keshav Puram, Netaji Subhash Place, Kohat Enclave, Pitam Pura, Rohini East, Rohini West, Rithala.
- Depot: Shastri Park
Line 2 (Yellow): Vishwa Vidyalaya-Central Secretariat
- Route: 10.68 km
- Total Stations: 10
- Stations: Vishwa Vidyalaya, Vidhan Sabha, Civil Lines, Kashmere Gate, Chandni Chowk, Chawri Bazar, New Delhi, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat.
- Depot: Khyber Pass
Line 3 (Blue): Indraprastha-Dwarka
- Length: 32.01 km
- Total Stations: 31
- Stations: Indraprastha, Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, R K Ashram Marg, Jhandewalan, Karol Bagh, Rajendra Place, Patel Nagar, Shadipur, Kirti Nagar, Moti Nagar, Ramesh Nagar, Rajouri Garden, Tagore Garden, Subhash Nagar, Janakpuri East, Janakpuri West, Uttam Nagar East, Uttam Nagar West, Nawada, Dwarka Mor and Dwarka.
- Depot: Najafgarh
Click here to see station names, fare and route maps.
Project Cost & Funding:
| Phase 1
|| ₹10,571 Crore
||Govt. of India, Govt. of Delhiand JICA
- Design Speed: 80 kmph
- Average Speed: 40 kmph
- Track Gauge: Broad Gauge – 1676 mm
- Electrification: 25 KV 50 HZ AC
- Signalling System: CBTC
- Rolling stock: NA
|Kumagai Gumi Co. Ltd. Japan
Skanska International Civil Engineering AB, Sweden
Hindustan Construction Co. Ltd. India Itochu Corporation, Japan
||Design and Construction of Civil Works and Ventilation & Air Conditioning
Works for Metro Corridor (Vishwa Vidyalaya ISBT section) (Contract Package MC1A)
|Dyckerhoff & Windmann AG, Germany
Shimizu Corporation, Japan.
Larsen & Turbo Ltd., India
Samsung Corporation, Korea
IRCON International Ltd., India
||Design and Construction Civil Works and Ventilation Air Conditioning for Metro Corridor (ISBT – Central Secretariat) (Contract Package MC1B)
|Mitsubishi Corporation, Japan
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Japan
||Design, Manufacture, Supply and Commissioning of Rolling Stock for Metro & Rail Corridors (Contract Package RS1)
|Alstom Transport Ltd., India
Alstom Transport SA, France
Alcatel Portugal SA
Sumitomo Corporation, Japan
||Signalling / Train Control and Communication System for Metro & Rail Corridors (Contract Package SYS1)
|IRCON International Ltd. (India) Corba, Spain ELIOP, Spain
||Traction Power, Power Distribution and SCADA System for Metro Corridor (Contract Package SYS2)
|Alcatel CGA Transport, France
||Automatic Fare Collection System for Metro & Rail Corridors. (Contract Package SYS4)
|ABB Ltd., India
Best &Crompton Engineering Ltd., India
||Supply, Installation, Testing and Commission of Tractions Electrification, Power Supply, Power Distribution and SCADA System for Rail Corridor (Contract Package RC-7A)
|IRCON International Ltd. (India)
MVM Rail Pty., Australia
||Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of ballast less tract for Rail Corridor (Contract Package RC3)
Progress So Far
- 25 Dec 2002: 8.3 km section between Shahdara – Tis-Hazari on Red Line opened.
- 03 Oct 2003: 4.1 km section between Tis Hazari – Inder Lok on Red Line opened.
- 31 Mar 2004: 8.9 km section between Inder Lok – Rithala on Red Line opened.
- 19 Dec 2004: 4 km section between Vishwa Vidyalaya – Kashmere Gate on Yellow Line opened.
- 03 July 2005: 7 km section between Kashmere Gate – Central Secretariat on Yellow Line opened.
- 31 Dec 2005: 22.9 km section between Dwarka – Barakhamba on Blue Line opened.
- 01 Apr 2006: 6.5 km section between Dwarka – Dwarka Sector 9 on Blue Line opened.
- 11 Nov 2006: 4.0 km section between Barakhamba – Indraprastha on Blue Line opened.