The Government of Gujarat gave approval for Phase-2 of project in October 2017 and revised it in October 2018. In February 2019, the Union cabinet approved the Rs 5384.17 crore second phase of the project. It will extend from Motera to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar with a separate line from Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) linking Pandit Deendayal Energy University (PDEU) and GIFT City. The Phase-2 will have total 28.254 km long elevated corridor with 22 stations.
- Project Name: Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project
- Operator: Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Owner: Govt. of India and Govt. of Gujarat
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Network Length: 68.28 km
- No. of Phases/Lines: 2 (2 Lines)
- Project Cost: INR 16,157.17 Crore
- Status: Operational - March 4, 2019
Line-2 (North-South / Red Line): Motera Stadium – Mahatma Mandir
- Length: 22.838 km
- Type: Elevated
- Depot: Indroda
- Number of Stations: 20
- Station Names: Koteshwar Road, Vishwakarma College, Tapovan Circle, Narmada Canal, Koba Circle, Juna Koba, Koba Gam, GNLU, Raysan, Randesan, Dholakuva Circle, Infocity, Sector-1, Sector-10A, Sachivalaya, Akshardham, Juna Sachivalaya, Sector-16, Sector-24 and Mahatma Mandir
Line-3 (Eastern Spur): Gujarat National Law University – Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GNLU – GIFT City)
- Length: 5.416 km
- Type: Elevated
- Number of Stations: 3
- Stations Names: Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City)
Click here to see station names, fare and route maps.
Project Cost & Funding
||Rs 5384.17 crore
||Govt. of Gujarat, Govt. of India and JICA
- Rolling Stock (Train): 3 Coach, Standard Gauge (1,435 mm), Maximum Speed - 80 kmph, Average Speed - 33 kmph, Passenger Capacity - 782. The train is capable of running “driverless” on unattended train operations (UTO) mode.
- Electrification: 750 V DC Third Rail
- Signalling: CBTC (Communication Based Train Control)
- Track: Standard Guage (1,435 mm)
Major Contract Awarded (Phase II)
||SYSTRA – SYSTRA MVA Consulting (India) Pvt. Ltd. JV
||Detailed Design Consultant (DDC) for extension of Line-2 from Motera Stadium to Mahatma Mandir
||Ardanuy Ingeniería S.A
||Detailed Design Consultant (DDC) for Power Supply & Distribution System, 750 V DC Third Rail Traction Electrification and SCADA System
||M K Soil Testing Laboratory
||Geotechnical Investigation for Line-2 Extn (Viaduct, 22 Stations & Depot)
|Civil Package C1
||Viaduct from Motera to GNLU (8.124 km) and GNLU to GIFT City (5.420 km) with 10 stations
|Civil Package C2
||Viaduct from GNLU to Gandhinagar Sector-1 (6.478 km) with 5 stations
|Civil Package C3
||Not yet finalize
||Viaduct from Sector-1 to Mahatma Mandir with 7 stations
Progress So Far
- 19 Feb.2019: Central Government’s Cabinet approved the plan for the Metro Rail Project.
- 4 March 2019: Its foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Feb 2021: Construction work on Phase II started.